Monday, December 29, 2008

Triple Cooked Chips


I know Heston Blumenthal thought of it first - but there is no harm in homage. Over xmas we had a couple of tapas style meals as I am currently enamoured of all things Brindisa. I bought some padrón peppers and fabulous chorizo and we had olives and cheeses and some fairly spectacular iberico ham for xmas eve. Boxing Day we had the same kind of thing but no ham. What we did have was a small bowl of potatoes from the chrissy feast which I had first cooked in boiling salted water and then, after fluffing them against the edge of the colander I roasted them in duck fat. They were wonderful.

As I made ready the platter for the following evening my eye caught the leftovers in the fridge. I had just fried off the thick sliced chorizo and I had a lovely slick of thick red oil in the bottom of a pan. Quick as a flash I sliced my potatoes into slightly smaller pieces and then gently fried them till they were hot and red and crisp. So amazing. Should you ever have that particular set of coincidences go for it!

No comments: